SurName

  • SARGENT, Andree, Justus, Heacock, Adkins, Skeen, Waggoner,Darby, Lea, Gold
  • JUSTUS, Marsh, Casper, Mizer
  • HEACOCK, Luttrell, Corn, Phillips, Thomas , Roberts, Till, Cox, Turner, Keene
  • ADKINS,Williams, Mahan, Lynch
  • SKEEN, Percyfield, Boyd, Thomas, Roberson

Search This Blog

Thursday, January 28, 2010

ORGANIZING the Paper Mountain part 2

Second installment of the Paper Mountain from Elyse's Blog where we have learn the first three steps of ADMITTING, PLANNING and ORGANIZING. Here is what I posted about Part 1

4~this step THINKING ,& Your MINDSET of how you see the ancestors. You will start with what you did with organizing your papers into piles. So this step of giving your paper piles a name or category.

The pedigree is the foundation of my tree, with this , add the list of the "women who married into the SARGENT line. Each of these ladies will have their own pedigree , and another huge zippered Notebook (which is growning just as fast...only in multiplies!

I first think of my ancestors as individuals, then couples , family units, and which generation they are place into. As for the wives, the pedigree begins with their father. And the cycle begin....

This reminds me of how bunny rabbits multiple, so do surnames, with every generation you add!

5~SUB-DIVIDE, not sure if this is something I am already doing, or just need to file the loose pages I an not needing just yet. Most of the printed out census records with the family units, dates and places have been used for verifying the couples and children. Most of these will be filed in topic categories for the time being.

6~ASSESS what you need as supplies go. Do I really need some big bulky metal file cabinet...which I couldn't carry home on my bike or the bus.

With what price are today, cardboard boxes are the simplest and just as good as Plastic..and with one of my perks working 3rd shift doing stocking, I come across some medium type (and strong) boxes. I won't be sorry , money is tight, we all know this and this will serve the purpose for now.

The store bought storage boxes with file holder can serve just as well if the "free/cheap" boxes are unavailable.

Of course will need the section files for categories, files for individuals, etc.

Will check what I might have on hand laying around here at home and at the storage room.

Color Coding ~haven't really worked with it at all, so this will be a learning process for me . More hit or Miss type thing. Working with the genealogy, I find myself becoming more detailed , so don't think the color coding would work for me...I would end up marking up the papers with to many colors.. Think I will pass on this one!

Making the system ARCHIVAL~just not there yet in my genealogy, still working with the papers. This is a good idea, something to think about. Now my zipper Notebook has the page protector which I slid the family worksheet into, for each male of the pedigree.

7~With LIST OF SUPPLIES in hand, off I go.

Make sure you check out my 3rd and last post of this series, as well as the 1rst and 2nd.

in reference to: Elyse's Genealogy Blog: Organizing The Paper Mountain (Part 2) (view on Google Sidewiki)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics